Hamlet listing things that bugged him…
Omani listing things …
(1) Mary Hanafin has pulled it off: published school inspection reports, as promised, on time, having overcome the opposition of INTO (Irish National Teachers Organisation). Is she Taoiseach material? She moving in the right direction, isn’t she?
(2) Is the Dublin Port tunnel still leaking? No more leaks from within the organisation. Nothing in the papers. Does this mean the repairs have been made? Does this mean the construction contractors paid for the repairs?
(3) Who is MD of RTE Radio? A good pub quiz question? At last RTE has produced its defence of plans to delete “Rattlebag“. See The Irish Times 22 June. I’m sure Adrian Moynes didn’t write it. Surely Ann Leddy did. Now we can have a serious argument. And see Mark Thompson (Director-General BBC) on “The BBC’s success story has a public service plot” (Financial Times 21 June). Sign the Petition now.
(4) Ghana and Australia through to last 16 of football World Cup. Hurray for small nations!
(5) Irish rugby team ready for its last chance to win down under. I’m looking forward to the match tomorrow. The tour has been a PR disaster: fighting with journalists and with SKY TV, refusing to play ball with the media - infantile disorders.
(6) Dublin City transport is to be re-organised and re-planned. It looks as if buses will be organised on the London model. If so, there will be tendering for bus routes. It worked very well in London.
(7) Cork Hurling flags are out. Cork V Tipperary on Sunday. I see a car with Munster Rugby and Cork Hurling flags.
(8) Work in progress: I’ve got a great bit of work preparing a workshop in “Copywriting as poetic art” - helping people learn writing skills through poetry, so that they can better sell life insurance.
(9) Kevin Myers on Charlie Haughey: Sonny Liston versus Al Capone… Brilliantly bruising stuff from Myers on Tuesday last. But the best remark about the “Boss” came from my wiffe. Haughey’s son’s oration said his father had passed on a love of all things French.
“Including the mistress habit?”
(10) Algarve here we come. Yes folks, the family holiday will be starting soon - a week out on the extreme left end of Portugal. Hopefully the express system for getting a passport for Grace will deliver… Or else… ?
(11) Progressive Democrats at loggerheads. Fianna Fail Backbenchers too. A bit of mirroring of UK politics: Harney V MacDowell (Tony V Gordon)… FF BBs (Conservative Party 1922 Committee)
Why 11 items on my list today?
11 days to the start of the Earagail Arts Festival in north & west Donegal.
If you’d like a bit more on any of these topics, let me know. Omaniblog would be delighted to oblige.