We went to Verdi’s Un Ballo in Maschera (Masked Ball) on Saturday.
It was wonderful and the performance far exceeded my expectations.
I met Padraig (The Wall). He looked great and so like Pavarotti. I last met him at the performance for Mike Hegarty in about mid 2007: we both performed that night. We also met Marie Broderick who told me all about Friends of Opera 2005.
For the record, in Ballo:
(1) Rabekah Coffey (Oscar) was magnificent
(2) Ceri Williams (Madame Arvidson) was stupendous
(3) Simon Thorpe (Anckarstrom) was great
(4) Cara O’Sullivan (Amelia) was excellent
(5) Jeff Stewart (Gustavus), the tenor, had a cold, probably shouldn’t have sung because his voice gave out in the last act.
(6) The woodwind sounded very good.
I hadn’t heard of Opera 2005, so I’m thrilled to discover that it’s possible to find brilliant opera in Cork.
If there is anyone near Limerick reading this, beg, borrow or steal a ticket for tomorrow evening at the Concert Hall. For the first time, Opera 2005 performs in Limerick, and I wish I could be there to review it for the Limerick Leader, as I did for Wagner’s Ring years ago.