Why would anyone want to go to the gym?
Let me offer some reasons I’ve found surprising :
(1) To practise the art of conversation with strangers in the changing room
(2) To notice how subjective time is - discover how slowly seconds pass when you’re facing the clock
(3) To feel spaced out and wobbly legged while getting dressed
(4) To be in complete control of how much effort and time you spend there
(5) To experience the satisfaction of pushing through a barrier and coming out the other side with a smile on your face
(6) To enjoy feeling self righteous and virtuous.
For the record, this morning was the second time I went to the gym unsupervised, the second time I went in my life I went purposefully.